Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Syntax connecting MQ to CSS 2.1

On Wednesday 05 August 2009, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:11:48 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> > 1) About omitting the media query from @media:
> >
> > CSS2 allows to omit the media from @import but not from @media.
> > That is deliberate, because
> >
> >     @import "foo"
> >
> > has an obvious meaning, while
> >
> >     @media {<rules>}
> >
> > would be confusing and redundant. It would either mean the same
> > as "<rules>" by itself or be ignored completely.
> >
> > If at all possible, I'd like to avoid (a) changing the CSS2
> > specification and (b) introducing syntax that is confusing.
>
> The reasoning for this is that <style media=""> or <link media="">
> implies all as well.

As an aside (because it's about HTML, not CSS):

If that's what HTML5 will say about them, then that's bad. :-(

Currently they are in error, which I like much better. The most obvious
reading for media="" is that the link applies to no media at all. And
thus, if lines like this start appearing in HTML, many people will
wonder if the author made a mistake. It's better to keep empty values
illegal.

(If HTML changes this, there will be an inconsistency between HTML and
XML, unless http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet is also changed. It
will be difficult to find out what breaks in that case.)

Bert