Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Michael Jansson:
>
>  > My vote would be on not introducing additional properties for columns
>  > breaks, from an implementation/performance perspective.
>
> Right.
>
>  > From a html/css
>  > author point of view, I would prefer to not mix up column and pages as
>  > it makes it unclear how to use the property.
>
> I can see that, too.
>
>  > How about mixing it up in
>  > the values instead, so instead of having
>  >     "page-break-<whatever>:<value>" and
>  >     "column-break-<whatever>:<value>"
>  > we would have
>  >     "break-<whatever>:<page-value>|<column-value>".
>  > For example: "break-inside: page", "break-inside:column",
>  > "break-inside:any", "break-inside:none", etc.
>
> I can see the benefit of only having one set of properties, and that
> the names of these properties are neutral. However, I don't really
> understand what 'break-inside: page' means. Force page breaks inside
> the elements? Prohibit them? Allow them?

I guess you would want at least something like "inside-break:
avoid-page", "inside-break: avoid-column", "inside-break: avoid-all" and
"inside-break: allow-all" etc!? I'm commenting on naming the property
and not really on the semantics and use of these properties (haven't had
time to look at that too closely).  From a very quick glance, it looks
like it would be quite useful though!