Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Comments on the last working draft

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2008-10-22 19:02 +0200, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>> A few comments on the media queries draft published on October 15th, 2008.
>
>> Section 4.13, grid
>> Typo: "Since the exact *with* of an ‘em’..."
>>
>> Also, I'm not sure that this phrasing best describes the situation. An
>> 'em' always occupies exactly a cell, so we can easily determine this width.
>
> I suppose the point is that you can't determine its value in
> physical units (e.g., 'cm', 'in') and perhaps even 'px'.
>
>> Should the 'ex' be also described, since it has a similar meaning?
>
> Frankly, it seems a little odd to me for the media queries spec to
> define what an 'em' means on tty devices.  It seems like that should
> be left to the Values and Units spec.

Agreed. It seemed a bit odd to me, too, to see this definition here.
Another thing I didn't like was the statement that "the px unit does not
apply to tty devices", without a reference or justification. The values
and units specification does not state this. I would rather see a more
formal definition of the possible media types.

>> Section 5, Values
>> Is 'solidus' the best term? Wikipedia states that the solidus is
>> actually U+2044, maybe authors will be inclined to use that symbol
>> instead of the forward slash.
>
> I think Wikipedia is wrong here.  UnicodeData.txt from the Unicode
> database describes U+2044 as "FRACTION SLASH" and U+002F as
> "SOLIDUS".

Yes, Wikipedia mentions this also, stating that "This contradicts
long-established English typesetting terminology", referencing "The
Elements of Typographic Style", by Robert Bringhurst. To eliminate the
confusion, perhaps the exact Unicode or ASCII value should be specified,
as in:
"followed by a solidus (‘/’, U+002F)"

--
Sergiu Dumitriu