Re: Styling by attribute-based association?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> David Hyatt wrote:
> >
> > Another (IMO simpler) idea would be to just have label match the same
> > pseudo-classes that the control does, i.e., if a checkbox is :checked,
> > then the label can match :checked too.  Same for :disabled, :enabled,
> > :indeterminate, and :focus.  I don't see any reason to introduce new
> > selectors to solve this problem.
>
> Let's go back in time for a second since this issue was raised precisely
> 3 years ago : my opinion as both Selectors' editor and CSS WG
> co-chairman is that this issue is outside of the scope of the CSS
> Working Group and it's up to the markup language to state that this or
> that state set on the control is mirrored onto the label having a |for|
> attribute targeting that control. To summarize, it's IMHO an HTML5
> issue.

I agree that it should be up to the markup specs to define which of these
state-based pseudo-classes should apply to which elements. Should we
define a set of common terms so that specs can "interface" on this issue,
or would it be better for specs to just name pseudo-classes explicitly?