Re: [CSS2.1] Position of list-item markers

Saloni Mira Rai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We need a clarification on positioning the marker for list-items in the
> scenario where list-item content is not right next to the principal box
> edge.
> Scenario #1 – List-item is immediately preceded by a float (left). The
> float pushes the list-item content to the right. According to the rules
> above the marker should be outside of the principal box and to the left
> of the float.
>
> However
>
> Opera and Safari all put the marker to the right of the float and next
> to the text.
>
> Firefox puts the marker on the float.
> IE8 puts the marker to the left of the float.
>
> Scenario #2 – List-item has text-align set to center. Should the marker
> be next to the text or outside the principal box?
>
> Firefox, Opera and Safari put the marker right next to the text, within
> the border of the list-item
>
> IE8 puts the marker outside the list-item.

Floats are complicated, and I don't think we should handle them in 2.1. I
suggest we add
   | The position of the list-item marker in the presence of floats is
   | undefined in CSS2.1.

For text-align, I think if we get a clear answer from web designers on what
should be done, we should do that. The question is:

   For a list with 'list-item-position: outside', if I set 'text-align: center',
   should the marker move? What about 'text-align: right'?

Jason's answer was
   > preferably no, or, for right have the bullet go on the right side
which makes perfect sense to me. Anybody else have an opinion?

~fantasai