From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:56 PM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [CSS2.1] table container behavior (captions, floats and margin collapsing)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com<mailto:alexmog@microsoft.com>> wrote:

We realize that making the box a block formatting context changes both the float behavior and caption margin collapsing. The latter makes some sense (and it is probably OK to keep it), but it also creates a special kind of block which is nearly identical to blocks defined elsewhere with one subtle difference. We are not against keeping the caption margin collapsing but we don't feel it is worth the additional complexity of creating another special case for margin collapsing.
Table margin collapsing is broken in Gecko. That's something we should just fix.

I don't think we should allow floats to intrude on caption layout. I think it's OK to allow table and caption margins to be propagated out of the table block formatting context. For CSS3 columns, we want the top and bottom margins of the content in the column set to collapse with margins outside the column set, while not allowing floats to disturb the layout of the column set; it's the only way to get reasonable behaviour for content like <p style="column-width:15em;"> (especially when you want it to fall back correctly for legacy browsers). So this idea of "block formatting context that margins can collapse through" already exists.

Rob
--
"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." [Isaiah 53:5-6]