Re: [CSS2.1] table container behavior (captions, floats and margin collapsing)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>wrote:

> We realize that making the box a block formatting context changes both the
> float behavior and caption margin collapsing. The latter makes some sense
> (and it is probably OK to keep it), but it also creates a special kind of
> block which is nearly identical to blocks defined elsewhere with one subtle
> difference. We are not against keeping the caption margin collapsing but we
> don't feel it is worth the additional complexity of creating another special
> case for margin collapsing.

Table margin collapsing is broken in Gecko. That's something we should just
fix.

I don't think we should allow floats to intrude on caption layout. I think
it's OK to allow table and caption margins to be propagated out of the table
block formatting context. For CSS3 columns, we want the top and bottom
margins of the content in the column set to collapse with margins outside
the column set, while not allowing floats to disturb the layout of the
column set; it's the only way to get reasonable behaviour for content like
correctly for legacy browsers). So this idea of "block formatting context
that margins can collapse through" already exists.

Rob
53:5-6]