Re: Selectors Tests

fantasai wrote:

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> Patrick Garies wrote:
>>> The following wording seems to do all of the above:
>>>
>>> “The |:enabled| pseudo‐class represents user interface elements that
>>> are in an enabled state; such elements have a corresponding disabled
>>> state.
>>>
>>> Analogously, the |:disabled| pseudo‐class represents user interface
>>> elements that are in a disabled state; such elements have a
>>> corresponding enabled state.
>>>
>>> What constitutes an enabled state, a disabled state, and applicable
>>> user interface elements is language‐dependent.
>>>
>>> Note that CSS properties that might affect a user’s ability to
>>> interact with a given user interface element do not affect whether
>>> it matches |:enabled| or |:disabled|; e.g., the |display| and
>>> of an element.”
>>
>> For what it's worth, I like this proposal.
>
> Me, too. Spec updated:
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors3/#UIstates
>
> I replaced "Analogously" with "Conversely", and I also left in the
> statement "Most elements will be neither enabled nor disabled."

Having both :disabled and :enabled creates conditions when following
statements are true:

:disabled  != :not(:enabled)
:enabled  != :not(:disabled)
not(:enabled)  && :not(:disabled) == true
:enabled  && :disabled == true

Is this desired?

In general: what about domain (language) specific attributes?
I believe that CSS should not try to define all possible state flags but
rather
to define general rule: each language  (e.g. XUL, HTML, etc) should be
allowed to define
their own domain specific pseudo-classes. CSS spec. just need to define
common syntax for them -
pseudo-class is some name token that defines some state flag. HTML5 spec
or WF shall define those state
flags with precise definition what they mean. E.g. they may specify that
:enabled == true and :disabled == true are
not possible at any given moment of time.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com