Re: [css3-color] RGBA Hex Notation

On Thursday 2004-09-09 16:56 +0300, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Brian Hunger wrote:
>>> alpha!
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#rgba-color
>> Already supported by Safari.
>
> Why not support #1234 and #12345678 formats too? The RGB color syntax
> already supports #123 and #123456
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#rgb-color>. A new syntax with 4 or
> 8 digits wouldn't collide with the old mechanism, instead it would be a
> logical extension.
>
> For example, #7777 would be 50% transparent 50% grey, #f004 would be
> ~25% opaque red etc. The short forms would be expanded just like RGB
> values: double the digits. The above examples would be equal to
> #77777777 and #ff000044 or rgba(127,127,127,127) and rgba(255,0,0,68)

The working group discussed the addition of new features to
css3-color and decided that no new features should be added at this
time; rather, the draft should be advanced with its current feature
set, which is at this point widely implemented.  New features will
be considered for the next level of the CSS color module.

If you are not satisfied with this response, please let us know
within two weeks, if possible.

-David

On Thursday 2004-09-09 21:17 -0400, W. Leon Sutton, Jr. wrote (in
response to the previous quoted message):
> Yes, the RGB-A color format would be a great addition.  There are many uses
> for such that I can think of.

On Friday 2004-09-10 10:39 -0400, Adam Kuehn wrote (in response to