Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

Brad Kemper wrote:

> On May 6, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Eli Morris-Heft wrote:
>
>> The current syntax (as seen
>> at http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-box-shadow)
>
> Another thing about this syntax is that negative numbers are allowed for
> the first two lengths (horizontal and vertical offsets), but no mention
> is made about negative values for the third (blur radius). Perhaps it is
> assumed that a negative length would make no sense there, and so is not
> worth mentioning, but I would propose that it should allow a negative
> number. Then a negative blur radius could mean that is is an inner
> shadow instead of an outer shadow.
>
> Inner shadows are useful for creating the effect of a hole cut in the
> background, instead of something floating above the background. Apple
> uses this effect a lot in Mac OS X in their system preferences panels,
> and other places where there are tab panels. The shadow is on the inside
> of the box instead of the outside.
>
> I would like to be able to create that effect with box box-shadow and
> text-shadow.

Hi Brad,

I can understand the idea of an inner "glow" analogous to the outer "glow"
you can get by using zero offsets and a positive blur radius. But I'm
having trouble understanding what an inner "shadow" (with non-zero offsets)
would be. Can you explain and maybe post some examples?

Thanks~

~fantasai