Re: [CSS21] Why are browser default style values different from Appendix D

Alan Gresley wrote:

> "According to the Dom toolbar the values are 'auto', and margin-left:30pt."
>

> For IE7 the vertical margins with auto for unordered list is
> approximately 19px.

I will add that I have confused 'auto' with 'default' as in.

Default:

<ul>
<li>Item</li>
</ul>

Vertical margins with Auto:

<ul style="margin-top: auto; margin-top: auto;">
<li>Item</li>
</ul>

The former case will show the default vertical margins of the UL and the
later should resolve 'auto' to '0' as per the spec.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#normal-block

If 'margin-top', or 'margin-bottom' are 'auto', their used value is 0.

It would help us all to see first hand some of the internal test that
Arron has done.

Alan