Re: When is a first letter not a :first-letter?

On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:14 AM, Ambrose Li wrote:

> But I would tend to think that normal typographic practice would
> more likely treat a number as the same class as a letter but not
> punctuation.

For "normal typographic practice" the main use case would be
something like a drop cap, and I'd never make a numeral into a drop
cap. But best practice in English is if your sentence starts with a
number to spell it out rather than using numerals -- which means it's
a moot point whether the numeral is a "first letter" for styling
purposes; styling that first numeral would be a questionable
presentation of bad editing.

Given all that, I'd leave the numeral as a "first letter" in case
somebody had a real need or desire to style it.

At the same time, I wonder about initial punctuation. If I want a
drop cap at the top of a page, but the first sentence starts with a
quotation, traditional practice is to remove the initial quotation
mark. If I don't remove the punctuation the drop cap would look
silly, but I leave it in and CSS does not consider punctuation a
"first-letter", then presumably there's no drop cap -- in which case
my styles are inconsistent -- or else the second character, i.e. the
first letter after the quote mark, will be styled -- which will look
awful. Either way is bad, and requires me editing my text to make the
styling work. But that's what I'd have to do anyway, regardless of
how CSS defines a first letter. I wonder, then, whether it might
simply cause confusion to have CSS treat any first character as not a
"first letter"? Perhaps it would be best to remain agnostic on the
issue and assume that authors will edit and style appropriately?
"First letter" is still a reasonable handle for what is really the
first character, since for practical purposes it will nearly always
be a letter.

Best,

David

David J. Walbert