Re: Line layout in browsers

On Jan 23, 2008, at 5:03 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Anyway, if browsers actually vary the meaning of normal by font, the
> situation is rather odd:

They do this.  A value of 'normal' will use a line height that is
equal to the line gap + ascent + descent, where all three of those
numbers are obtained from the font itself.  Hence my complaint about
percentage and numeric line heights being relative to font-size.  The
intuitive behavior of 200% or 2 as a line-height value would have been
to be twice the value of 'normal.'  It's too late to change this now
though.

I definitely see value in introducing a new unit in order to be able
to specify the line-height as a multiple of 'normal.'

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)