Re: Advanced Font Features

Fantasai wrote:

 > >   font-variant-width: normal | proportional | monospace
 > >
 > > The main use case for this property is to select between proportional
 > > and monospace digits. Today, Georgia has proportional digits and
 > > Verdana has monospaced digits. More advanced fonts may have both
 > > kinds.
 >
 > Wouldn't it make sense to use the font-variant-digits property
 > for that switch?

Yes, I think it makes sense to have a property which is limited
to digits (and possibly other digit-related characters?).

Christoph Päper posted this table:

 >             | monospace | proportional
 >    ---------+-----------+-------------
 >    oldstyle | onum tnum | onum pnum
 >    lining   | lnum tnum | lnum pnum

So, one solution is for 'font-variant-digits' to accept these values:

  font-variant-digits: [ monospace | proportional | normal ] || [ oldstyle | lining | normal ]

where 'normal' means the font's default.

It kind of feels like a shorthand and I'm not sure we want shorthands
within shorthands. So, another option is to have two properties:

  font-variant-digits-space: monospace | proportional | normal
  font-variant-digits-style: oldstyle | lining | normal

But I don't really like these property names. Hmm.

Cheers,

-h&kon