Re: flowing around both sides of a float

On Jan 1, 2008, at 2:50 PM, David Woolley wrote:

> Actually, I've just done a quick scan of some of the magazines and
> newspapers I have around (mainly English, but also a paper and
> magazine in Simplified Chinese).  I can't find any centred displays
> (with text around both sides).  On the other hand, I can find
> several displays (pulled quotes, images, supplementary text, that
> are symmetrically floated right in one column and left in the next
> column, so it would seem that that has better use cases than
> centring in a single column. (There are also ones spanning several
> two or more columns completely, some which are unbalanced, and, at
> least one that was quite narrow, but with edges cropped to the
> image it contained, and placed between columns, so as to take
> irregular chunks out of two columns.)

People may have a hard time coming up with printed, published
examples of two sided floats that are not in columns, but that is
largely due to the fact that most newspapers and magazines are
arranged in columns of some sort. But a Web page is not the same as a
static piece of paper, as I suspect even David would agree. Paper
cannot have a fluid design, and columns (other than those that define
page divisions, like sidebars and navigation bars) can cause problems
on screen when the text gets so long that it requires re-scrolling
from the bottom to the top of each column.

Since the conversation has largely ignored the fact that floats in
Web pages are, probably more often than not, used for things other
than pull quotes, I have put together a fictional Web page to show
how a positioned float (or positioned element with "wrap", or a
"free" floated element) could lead to creative possibilities that are
not currently possible with CSS.

This is a liquid layout, so feel free to try it in different window
sizes (it can be made very narrow). Right now, the positioned
elements just overlap and cover up the text, but with some sort of
positioned float, the idea is that the floats would split each line
in two, rather than just overlapping:

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/centerfloat.html

You need not like the design in order to appreciate how a positioned
float would open up new creative possibilities.

To those who think Web pages should only use the browser's default
style sheets, and abhor the idea of pages with creative designs, or
who think the Web would be better if all pages resembled the way they
looked in 1993: you need not comment, as I already know you won't
like it.