Re: Advanced Floats

David Woolley wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Phase 2: If height of content inside the <root> is less than
>>          its height (so we get free space to distribute) do
>>          "shrink-to-fit" balancing.
>>

> The height of the content varies depending on how much content has
> arrived so far, so you cannot get a final solution from phase two until
> all the content has arrived and thus incremental rendering is either not
> possible (if you want right first time), or requires that text
> continually move until the input is complete.

As I said in the message that you citing Phase2 will be in effect only
when you get first portion of tall document. At the moment when
content will exceed view Phase2 will not be active for the document -
they will be loaded as it is now.

This will work perfectly for header-body-footer kind of documents (like:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ ).

Multicolumn layouts (like http://www.w3.org/) will always demonstrate
some animation. Try to imagine http://www.w3.org/ page being rendered
incrementally. How you would do this without animation?

(You can avoid incremental animation only if you use layouts
like flow:grid [3]. Document has to have left/right side bar content
first and then the body section.)

> PS I presume that "flex units" are still a proprietary feature of your
> browser, not part of CSS.

Flex units a.k.a relative units are defined in HTML 4.01 [1]
I simply have added them to CSS [2,3] in my own implementation of CSS.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-length
[2] http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/fspu.whtm
[3] http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/flow.whtm

--