Re: flowing around both sides of a float

On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> I don't want the user agent to design my page for me, or to second
>> guess my intentions. I will not use anything that removes the
>> control I currently have over the design.
>
> What "control" do you believe you have ?

Not absolute control, if that's what you think I am arguing for. I
just expect a certain level of predictability. If I specify the color
as red, it is because I want it to render as red, not green. That
implies a level of control, but I never meant to imply I had absolute
control. I am paid to design pages that look nice and work well
within a variety of different conditions.  Obviously people can set
their own user style sheets if they don't like mine, and there are
variables I cannot control.

> HTML & CSS allow you to /influence/ the
> design, but if you want to /control/ it
> you would do better to adopt a page-
> description language such as PDF.

Why is it that every time I suggest that Cascading STYLE Sheets be
used to style the page in a predictable way, some one feels a need to
express this "love it or leave it" attitude? If you don't think that
CSS should be able to set the visual style of the page, then maybe
you would do better to stick to a language that does not describe the
rendering of the page with any precision, such as HTML without CSS.

>>> When writing a web page, I usually don't actually care whether it's
>>> floated left or right, and in general I don't know whether it
>>> will look
>>> best floated left or right without knowing the font size and window
>>> width etc.
>> Maybe you don't, but I do.
>
> Were it not for my New Year's resolution to be kinder
> to all men, I would be sorely tempted to suggest
> <arrogance> tags around the last sentence.
>
> Philip TAYLOR

I guess if you can't argue with logic, then slinging insults at me is
the next best thing, eh? Good thing your New Year's resolution
prevented you from actually calling me names. Because of your
"kindness" I guess I really have no idea what you think of me. Peter
Moulder doesn't care if something is floated to the left or to the
right. Because I do, I'm arrogant? It is no more arrogant than
whoever originally designed float to have two different values, for
those who might prefer one over the other in various circumstances.