RE: Advanced Floats

>On Wednesday 2008-01-02 22:15 -0500, fantasai wrote:
> Well, I do expect CSS3 to include "start" and "end" values for
>> floats. "top" and "bottom" wouldn't present the same layout problems
>> in vertical layout because they'd be analogous to "left" and "right"
>> in horizontal layout. But then "left" and "right" would present
>> those problems instead.
>>
>> I agree this is something that needs to be discussed. A lot of things
>> in CSS2.1 don't translate to vertical text in an obvious way.

There is an important point that needs to be considered here. Do we want to keep values defined as physical or logical, or even both. Using 'start' and 'end' will be quite straight forward and understandable in any direction. At the same time we currently have the physical 'left' and 'right' which are quite well adobted as well e.g. designers in RTL would always use float : right if they need something floating in front of their content.

Adding 'top' and 'bottom' would give designers in vertical layout the same freedom as we currently have in horizontal. Hence, adding these two I believe would still be a good idea. Of course using float 'top | bottom' in horizontal needs to be addressed as David suggests bellow.

>One proposal discussed (and perhaps accepted?) in the past was to
>make top and left synonyms (i.e., have the same computed value),
>make right and bottom synonyms, and say that in horizontal text the
>values mean left and right, whereas in vertical text they mean top
>and bottom.

Wouldn't that eliminate the posibility for future implementations of composit floats such as float : left, bottom?