Re: Comments on media queries [css3-page]

fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>>  * The spec should probably say that device queries on print media
>> query the paper size.
>>   - This is a problem considering that CSS can define the page size
>> itself, but the spec already has this problem since it refers to the
>> page box.
>
> I agree the spec should refer to the page size, not the page box.
> I'm not sure how to deal with conflicts between a media query and the
> 'size' property. We could say that the 'size' property can't affect
> which style rules apply, but that would preclude something like this:
>
>   @page { size: letter, A4, 4in 6in, 3in 5in; }
>
>   @media (min-width: 6in) {
>     /* two-column layout */
>   }

I've added the following to the spec, does this make sense?

  | If a size property declaration specifies a page size that would cause that
  | declaration to not apply (e.g. a media query that qualifies it applies
  | only to a different paper size) then the declaration must be ignored.
  |
  | In the following example
  |   @page {
  |     size: 4in 6in;
  |   }
  |
  |   @media (max-width: 6in) {
  |     @page {
  |       size: letter;
  |     }
  |   }
  | The second size declaration is ignored, i.e. the specified value of the
  | size property is 4in 6in.

It's a bit more complicated processing than we normally do for things that
are "ignored"... but disallowing @page inside @media wouldn't solve the
problem anyway due to media="" and @import.

~fantasai