Re: [cssom-view] Why is body's offsetParent null ?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Following that (special casing position:relative on the HTML body
> element) would break finding the position of an element within the page,
> as I explained here:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0366.html
>
> And as that's what these attributes are used for primarily I don't think
> that's a better solution.

Why am I under the impression there is no common ground that can easily
emerge from existing browsers' common practice and that the choice made
in this spec are more in favor of Opera against other implementations...
If I'm right - and I hope I am not - moving that to Last Call then
raises the risk these implementors will object strongly.

I'm not sure at this time the comments from Mike Wilson and Garrett
Smith are entirely addressed. They are raising extremely consistent
issues and I don't see consensus emerge. I also think Robert
O'Callahan's comment does make a lot of sense, and I'm not sure any
more offset* properties don't have to be killed to let emerge something
that will be interoperable w/o breaking existing common practice.

</Daniel>