Re: Fwd: [cssom-view] small update

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:16:49 +0200, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> It actually disagrees with all implementations. That's pretty much the
>> behavior you get when you define legacy features. See HTML 5 for more
>> examples of this.
>>
> Is that 'yes I did it on purpose' or a 'no, it was a mistake'?

It's yes, I don't think there's a better way. Again, see also HTML 5.

> The example should be checking offsetTop:
>
> javascript:document.write("<body style='position:relative'
> onload='alert(a.offsetTop == 0)'><div id=a
> style='position:relative'>a</div></body>");document.close();

With the behavior Firefox has for this you can't determine the position of
the <div> relative to the page anymore using offset*. I don't see how that
is better. With the behavior IE has for this you need to introduce
differences between quirks and standards mode. I don't see how that's
better either. Special casing the HTML body element seems the most
reasonable solution, as I've explained to you several times before so
please don't claim I'm ignoring you all the time when you complain about
the same thing every time...

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>