Re: [CSS21] DELIM? in core syntax

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> "Parts of style sheets that can be parsed according to this grammar but
> not according to the grammar in Appendix G are among the parts that will
> be ignored according to the rules for handling parsing errors."
>
> "are among" is essential here, I think.

I see. I assumed that was referring to the fact that illegal properties
(say "font-variant") /could/ be parsed with the CSS 2.1 grammar, but
would still be handled according to the rules for handling parsing
errors. It's just not very natural for me to read that as leaving open
the possibility that parts of style sheets that cannot be parsed
according to this grammar will be ignored according to the rules for
handling parsing errors, especially when it adds: "The meaning of input
that cannot be tokenized or parsed is undefined in CSS 2.1."

> Given
> that implementors have understood this part of the specification I
> suggest we not change is as that will only increase the chance of
> introducing errors at this point.

Some have; some perhaps haven't. As I mentioned, the SACParser the Lobo
browser uses skips whole blocks on encountering *property rather than
skipping to the next declaration.

I can appreciate the incentive of resisting substantive changes at such
a late stage. Changing the wording to reflect intention can always
introduce new errors into the spec. On the other hand, changing the
wording could also reduce errors in new implementations, which might be
more important. It does seem to me there's a balance to be struck there,
and looking at the most important implementations may not be the way to
strike it.

Still, it's great to get confirmation that the removal of DELIM? doesn't
mean *property has undefined (error) handling; thanks for clearing that
up for me. :)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis