Re: [CSS21] DELIM? in core syntax

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 15:12:23 +0200, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:
> So maybe I've misunderstood the intention, but as I read it the defined
> error parsing rules do not apply to input (i.e. stylesheets) that can't
> be parsed with the core grammar. Malformed declarations are those which
> can be parsed with the core grammar but not the CSS 2.1 grammar.

No, that's not what the specification says. Explicitly, it says:

"Parts of style sheets that can be parsed according to this grammar but
not according to the grammar in Appendix G are among the parts that will
be ignored according to the rules for handling parsing errors."

"are among" is essential here, I think.

Now I agree that the specification is not very clear, but it won't become
more clear if you try to read things between the lines. Given that
implementors have understood this part of the specification I suggest we
not change is as that will only increase the chance of introducing errors
at this point.

(Note that removing DELIM? does not affect whether body { * ; color:lime }
is handled by the core grammar or not. It isn't. Handling errors in the
grammar itself has been brought up a few times, but it has not been done
so far.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>