Re: [CSS21] DELIM? in core syntax

* Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html:
> > The meaning of input that cannot be tokenized or parsed is undefined
> > in CSS 2.1.
>
>And then http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#parsing-errors says:
> > In some cases, user agents must ignore part of an illegal style
> > sheet. This specification defines ignore to mean that the user agent
> > parses the illegal part (in order to find its beginning and end), but
> > otherwise acts as if it had not been there.
>
>It seems to me ignoring something is equivalent to defining it as having
>no meaning (at least to the CSS 2.1-conforming implementation).

Yes, this is a well-known contradiction in the specification (that it
says the meaning of some cases is undefined, but then goes on to de-
fine error recovery rules for a subset of those cases, in other parts
than the one you quote). The class of errors under discussion is handled
by the "Malformed declarations" recovery rule despite the first quote
above.