Re: Double standards in restrictions on downloadable fonts

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, fantasai wrote:
>> Note that the W3C Process Document trumps CSSWG policies, so there's a
>> limit to how much you can shift over to the public list. (If that
>> weren't the case, I believe Paul would have announced his materials on
>> www-style.)
>
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Bert Bos wrote:
>> Please, don't, Ian. Our policy doesn't tell us to make confidential
>> information public. As the process document says: "Those authorized to
>> access Member-only and Team-only information [...] must not release this
>> information to the general public."
>
> Wow. That's the clearest example of the attitude of secrecy and "process
> over progress" that I've seen in a long time.

Personally, I don't see that there's any progress to be made by continuing
this conversation at all. There was a long heated discussion about font
formats, but it has ended and passed out of the CSSWG's hands. I have no
objection to it continuing elsewhere, but I will be happier if it never
visits the CSSWG's agenda again. I don't see anything to be gained by
continuing to discuss the issue except the opportunity for accusing others
of bad behavior. That is not progress. Do your name-calling by private
email or find some other means to announce it: the topic of *this* mailing
list is TECHNICAL discussion of style sheets.

> There was no confidential information in the mail I sent out.

I noticed that. Your message left off that quote and picked up on a previous
conversation on this mailing list with Paul. I have no problem with that. I
was merely pointing out that you cannot pull the entire conversation from the
wg list onto this public mailing list, in case you were tempted to do so.

> Maybe if you didn't spend so much time trying to protect Microsoft, and
> spent a little more time worrying about what would be the best for the Web,
> the CSS working group wouldn't be in such a mess.

I'm not going to answer that.

~fantasai