Subject: Re: MQ Aspect Ratio
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 01:35:02 +0200
From: Timur Mehrvarz <timur.mehrvarz@web.de>
To: fantasai <fantasai@inkedblade.net>
<5D4F1A84-9107-433C-BCE7-B66E110AC8E1@web.de> <46BE22C3.1040301@inkedblade.net>
<DF35A9D4-20B4-4FEC-8F83-2EB8AEA6F377@web.de> <46C0E79E.2090806@inkedblade.net>

fantasai wrote:
 > Timur Mehrvarz wrote:
 >>
 >> I would even think, that aspect-ratio (which may refer to the
 >> "complete rendering area, for instance a browser window"), could
 >> just replace device-aspect-ratio. Once aspect-ratio exists, there
 >> is no reason to keep device-aspect-ratio anymore.
 >
 > The device-* properties are in general not particularly useful. :)

Yes!

 >> I'm not sure what to do about non-isometric resolutions in MQ.
 >> "aspect-ratio-em" maybe? :)
 >
 > In general authors don't need to think about that. It might affect image
 > rendering maybe, if the relevant technology doesn't account for non-isometric
 > resolutions, but the way CSS defines lengths means that authors can expect a
 > 1u X 1u box to be actually square (where u is any CSS unit).
 >
 > The MQ spec doesn't need any new media queries to deal with this, it just
 > needs text that defines reasonable behavior for non-isometric resolutions.

OK. Btw, implementing "aspect-ratio" where "device-aspect-ratio" is
already implemented is very very little work. So I would say, getting
it in the spec is the actual work. I don't think the browser vendors
will have a particular issue with implementing it. I will post a
patch for webkit as soon as MQ is updated in this regard. (I mean, in
case it will be updated. Hopefully.)

T.