RE: [css3-multicol] float: mid-column Re: multicolumn layouts with text wrapping around cross boundary dives

Actually floats moved out of multi-column module because they overlap with floats in GCPM. GCPM floats are intended to cover all scenarios included in earlier drafts of multi-column.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Peter Moulder
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:08 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: [css3-multicol] float: mid-column Re: multicolumn layouts with text wrapping around cross boundary dives

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Eric S. Johansson writes:

> the best description I have of what I want to do is to take a three column
> layout and put a post-it straddling two columns.  Then the text in the two
> columns should flow around the post-it on both sides.  I can get it to flow
> around one side depending on which column I create the "Post-it" box in but not
> both.

This functionality was in an early draft of the multi-column CSS3 module
(see http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-multicol-20010118/#floating).  I
would guess that it was one of the things "left out [because they]
proved difficult to implement"
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Dec/0083.html);
though of course this is an extrememly common form of floating image in
multi-column documents, so I'm sure that a future version will try to
add support for it (perhaps waiting until the existing css3-multicol
spec has become a recommendation).

Can anyone comment on the above speculated plans for the feature?
I have some experience in implementing this sort of thing, and will
discuss the results of that once people are interested in looking at
this area again.

pjrm.