Re: 3rd call: CSS2: howto disable audio?

Doug Schepers wrote:
> David Woolley wrote (on 7/27/2007 3:09 AM):
  Once you start using plugins you have left the scope of W3C regulation
>> and you have decided to enter an essentially unregulated market.
>
> What?  That's not at all true.  There are plugins for SVG, MathML,
> XForms, SMIL

Being unregulated means unregulated.  Banning W3C technology based
plugins would be a regulation (although I think SVG is a poor example,
as my impression is that the original main one, from Adobe, was written
with little regard to integrating with the rest of the W3C technologies).

>> In practical terms, plugins are quite likely to completely bypass the
>> browser when generating sound.
>
> Only if the plugin vendor decides to make them so.  If they have clear

Many plugins start as being independent programs.  That's particularly
true in the sound area, where the main choice is between Real Audio and
Windows Media Player.  As such, they don't make use of more browser
infrastructure than is strictly necessary to allow them to be used.

--
David Woolley