Re: [CSS3] What about "behavioral extensions to CSS"?

Christoph,

I think if anything, what you propose should work based on *states*
(such as the existing :active, :selected, whatever) and not operations
such as ‘click’. That way, the styling can be changed by setting a
different state on the base element, all subelements will style
accordingly, and the correct styling can be resolved at any time based
on the current state, instead of retracing the number of clicks that
have been done, etc.

This is a much more solid method, and will cause much less bugs and
problems in the styling. E.g. try to create a ‘button push’ effect using
JavaScript, I promise it’ll give you headaches because you treat the
separate events individually, while it’s trivial to do using CSS its
‘:active’ pseudo-class.

As far as scripts in CSS go, I think that IE’s ‘expressions’ shows that
it’s extremely hard to implement this while still performing well.

Also, styling and behaviour should be separated; the things that you
currently can’t do with CSS should be solved with that in mind. Some
examples:

- a ‘push’ button effect using :active currently only works on elements
that can be activated. OTOH, maybe this is good, because if the script
that handles the click is disabled, there is no point in having the
styling layer still pretend that something is being clicked. I don’t
know what XBL can do here, but I’d say it would be nice if the scripting
layer could control an element’s :active state.

- transition effects; it’s fine for the CSS to specify transition
effects (actually, that would be great to have!), e.g. with an
imaginative ‘animate-properties: background-color, left, top’, but this
should be done based on state. The behavioural layer (script) can then
take care of the real behavioural stuff, being the changes in state.

~Grauw