Re: [CSS3] What about "behavioral extensions to CSS"?

Hello,

just like me, :). The "Behavioral Extensions to CSS" would be beneficial
for many applications! I just finished my diploma thesis about extending
CSS with dynamic document rendering features (supervisor François Bry).

The set of extensions is called CSS^NG. CSS^NG is rather similar to the
"Behavioral Extensions to CSS". The main goal of CSS^NG is to make
scripting languages unnecessary for as many applications as possible.
The following examples demonstrate one feature of CSS^NG:

---- Example 1: Dynamic Styling --------------------------
a:onclick(1) { color: green; }

After one click on an HTML anchor its color changes to green.

---- Example 2: Dynamic Styling using CSS Combinators ----
tab:onclick(2n+1) + * { display:none; }
tab:onclick(2n+2) + * { display:block; }

After an _odd_ number of clicks on a tab element
	the following sibling is _"folded"_ and
after an _even_ number of clicks on a tab element
	the following sibling is _"unfolded"_.

These examples are taken from the following paper:
http://www.pms.ifi.lmu.de/publikationen/PMS-FB/PMS-FB-2006-9/css-ng.pdf

The diploma thesis with details on CSS^NG can be found here:
http://www.pms.ifi.lmu.de/publikationen/diplomarbeiten/Christoph.Wieser/thesis.pdf

I hope that CSS^NG can revive the discussion on dynamic styling of Web
pages.

Kind regards,
Christoph

----