Re: [CSS3] What about "behavioral extensions to CSS"?

Laurens,

thanks, you are right. That's the way I did it. All extensions of CSS
pseudo-classes describe states and not actions. For instance, a CSS^NG
rule with the selector *:onclick(2n+1) specifies the styling for
elements that where clicked once, thrice, etc. A CSS^NG rule with this
selector does not match, if the element was clicked twice, four times etc.

> Also, styling and behaviour should be separated; the things that you
> currently can’t do with CSS should be solved with that in mind.

You mean that dynamic pseudo-classes in CSS like :hover were a bad idea?
I appreciate these dynamic pseudo-classes because you can specify
behavior rather easily without scripting. I definitely agree that
scripting is needed for many applications.

However, the goal of CSS^NG is to avoid scripting for as many
applications as possible using declarative rules. CSS^NG does not focus
on scripting like the Behavioral Extensions to CSS or XBL. Let the
author of a style sheet decide whether static styling and dynamic
styling should be separated or not.

Kind regards,
Christoph