Re: I18n comment: matching lang values

This is an official comment on behalf of the CSS working group.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 ishida@w3.org wrote:

> Comment: "based solely on the identifier C being either equal to, or a
> hyphen-separated substring of,"
>
> Actually it has to match the hyphen separated values starting from the
> beginning. ie. 'AU' cannot match 'en-AU'. Perhaps this can be expressed
> in a similar way to E[foo^="bar"], ie. 'based solely on the identifier C
> being either equal to, or exactly beginning the element's language
> value'.

I have changed the definiton to read:

  Whether an element is represented by a :lang() selector is based solely
  on the element's language value being exactly equal to the identifier C,
  or beginning with the identifier C immediately followed by "-" (U+002D),
  in the same way as if performed by the '|=' operator in attribute
  selectors.

> Or you could perhaps define it in a similar way to XPath, which says "s
> the same as or is a sublanguage of the language as defined by RFC 3066
> or its successor".This may be safer, as the matching rules may change
> slightly with the successor to RFC 3066.

We specifically do not wish to refer to RFC 3066 or its successors because
regardless of those specifications changing the rules, the rules for
matching of the |= and :lang() forms in Selectors will not change. If it
did change it would cause backwards compatibility issues.

Please let us know if this does not satisfy your request.