Re: I18n comment: inheritance of :lang and |=

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 ishida@w3.org wrote:

> Comment: "in the same way as if performed by the '|=' operator in
> attribute selectors"
>
> I think it is important to clarify that the behaviour of :lang and |= is
> significantly *different* with regards to inherited language values.
> This is not explained as far as I can see, but my understanding is that
> it is intended.

This is an official comment on behalf of the CSS working group.

I have added the following paragraph to 6.6.3:

The difference between :lang(C) and the '|=' operator is that the '|='
operator only performs a comparison against a given attribute on the
element, while the :lang(C) pseudo-class uses the UA's knowledge of the
document's semantics to perform the comparison.

Please let us know if this does not satisfy your request. (The working
group will review this change and might change it further; if we do, we
will let you know so you can review the new text as well.)