Comment from the i18n review of:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/

Comment 15
At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-css3-selectors/
Editorial/substantive: S
Location in reviewed document:
Sec. 6.6.3 [http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/#lang-pseudo]

Comment:
"based solely on the identifier C being either equal to, or a hyphen-separated substring of,"

Actually it has to match the hyphen separated values starting from the beginning. ie. 'AU' cannot match 'en-AU'. Perhaps this can be expressed in a similar way to E[foo^="bar"], ie. 'based solely on the identifier C being either equal to, or exactly beginning the element's language value'.

Or you could perhaps define it in a similar way to XPath, which says "s the same as or is a sublanguage of the language as defined by RFC 3066 or its successor".This may be safer, as the matching rules may change slightly with the successor to RFC 3066.