Re: [css3] Proposal

On Dec 7, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Daniel Glazman wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I think this should be DOM-based, not CSS-based.
>
> Let me detail a bit more : this is entirely behavioural. It does not
> affect the display of the video player, it affects what the video
> player
> is DOING. This is not stylistic at all.

I could be facetious and argue that gif hardly qualifies as video. I
won't.

The same arguments could be made about the marquee properties,
though, or even the :hover selector itself. A gif is a file, and this
is presentational. Which state are you presenting the animation to
the end user in? Playing or paused? Are you presenting it from the
beginning, or in whatever state it happens to be in? The "behavior"
is merely an artifact of the :hover selector itself, and not a
bizarre use of it. It might blur the line a bit, but it doesn't cross
it any further than has been by other CSS rules/properties in the
past. But most importantly of all, it would be very useful. It would
reduce or eliminate the need for proprietary techniques.

John O.