Re: Web Fonts

On Thursday, August 24, 2006, 10:46:51 AM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Chris Lilley wrote:
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply support the addition of URIs to
>>> font-family?
>>
>> That would be a highly backwards-incompatible change!

IH> Actually, it would be completely backwards compatible,

You miss the point entirely. I am not talking of whether the syntax would cause a syntax error in CSS (nothing does as far as I can see).

The point is that CSS1 has a nice model where the fonts available is not an opaque blob but has separate descriptors for things like the family, the style, the weight, and so on. its then possible to change one property and match to a different font.

I explained all this last week at a very interesting Web Font panel at TypeCon 2006 in Boston, together with representatives from Apple, Adobe and Microsoft Typography.

The audience there understood the issues very well and how Hakon's proposal would break all that.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG