Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:27:24 +0200, Larry Israel wrote:

..

> standard XHTML file. If you could, there would already be CSS libraries
> (both open-source and commercial) with CSS files and background graphics
> for download, and lots of people would be using them. (Maybe there are
> some already and I just haven't seen them?)

The W3C Core Styles by Todd Fahrner come to mind. But because of the inherent limitations you noted, these are only useful for plain documents without navigation sidebars etc. I did make use of them a few times though.

> When will CSS files be transferable, usable on almost any web site? Maybe
> we'll get there in 10 years, but I wonder if we're even moving in that
> direction.

I really doubt that even with standardized naming for common webpage elements, there would be much desire to make sites look all alike. People seem to be more interested in making their design different from everything else on the web.

--
            Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.

                                                    Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                  Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
                                 Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/journal