Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

On 9/16/05, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > > At some point, hopefully, a lesson is learned. Don't bloat. Stick with
> > > targetted specs. Not every company is making these mistakes.
> > > Ironically Google has learned to keep it's products lean and keep them
> > > lean. Ben Goodger of Firefox seemed to learn the lesson as well and
> > > understood that extensions were key.
> >
> > Firefox is a new product. Who knows how bloated (or un-bloated) it will be in
> > 10 years?
>
> Firefox's rendering engine is not new. It is about 7 years old now. (It's
> true that it is constantly under threat of becoming bloated as people keep
> asking for more and more standards to be supported, often without any good
> reason whatsoever; but efforts are made to ensure that only the sensible
> requests are accepted.)

Also with Firefox something was created so that people didn't have to
include everything. Firefox developers have spent a lot of time on
extensions so that Firefox won't have the same bloat pressures that
other products have. It's not as if we aren't conscious of this effect
anymore and it's not as if we can't do anything about it. We can.

--

Orion Adrian