Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:06:25 +0300, Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 9/15/05, Emrah BASKAYA <emrahbaskaya@hesido.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:43:37 +0300, Orion Adrian
>> <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On: Re: Block-based parsing; allow lies
>> Having the same exact DNA
>> never could help any species, there has to be a flexibility for times
>> when the need be.
>
> This argument makes so sense to me? Doesn't that mean we should be
> abandoning standards since products based on them have the same DNA?
> Doesn't that mean we should all start using different languages, built
> uniquely for us, so we have different DNA? RSS has managed to remove
> the issues of the past. I have yet to see an RSS feed that says, best
> viewed in X. That's an issue only when you allow styling code to be
> determined by the author.

No, that's not what I meant. I am not claiming there are RSS feeds that
say they prefer a specific app, what I meant is, ditching author's
recommandations on presentation and author-provided functionality
(HTML+CSS+Javascript) means that user will view all pages with their own
UA's style, or his own style, using his UA's own functions. The site could
not add anything to the table, and if needed a specific functionality,
author would have to suggest using a specific UA, or provide his own UA.
Every bit of detail would have to be described by the standard. There
would not be any author-induced innovations in usage (e.g. yellow fade
technique).

The species don't have the exact same DNA, but a member of a species
follows the standard DNA of the species. I would never suggest everybody
should have their own standards.

But I always would like to see one thing: CSS being used for unlimited
type of layouts without requiring specific markup. My pseudo-parent
container suggestion could do just that even for existing web pages, tho
the syntax could be much refined.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Apr/0058.html

And after that is done, I'd like to see people using id's in similar
manner, so user styles could do much more. (e.g. #footer, #header,
#contentbody, .newsitem, etc.) Authors could adhere to a *recommendation*,
and bearing a "I will let you style this page" banner. This is not the
same as having the same DNA, but same kind of DNA.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com