Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

On 9/15/05, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> Orion Adrian wrote:
>
> > RSS differs in two major facets. One it removes all styling and
> > javascript making it suitable for pretty much anywhere even phones and
> > PDAs.
>
> And this is a totally ridiculous way of dealing with stylesheets. I remind
> you that the cascade and the design of CSS let you easily override any style
> present in a document instance. It's incredibly easy to "flatten" *all* the
> styles in a document instance for the purpose of cell phone rendering.
> There are tons of RSS feeds out there that _do_ have styles, that you can
> easily read in an xml-compliant browser like firefox.

But the reality is that even table-less design, removing CSS from
pages usually ends up bad. Removing Javascript ends up bad. And
flattening a structure like that still doesn't make it renderable in a
cell-phone. I certainly haven't seen any cell phones that have done a
wonderful job of faithfully preserving all content while restyling the
document as a whole.

As for feeds that use CSS, I find them inaccessible since it raises
the requirement that my reader support CSS when that isn't even
supposed to be a requirement for browsers. But it's something we've
come to rely upon because we have it. Some people just don't care
about small devices or the disabled.

> > So I say that a new model is already upon us. I say that it's time we
> > took a look and see why so many people are starting to prefer RSS over
> > standard HTML feeds and in that view I find we'll see that client side
> > CSS and Javascript isn't a good solution.
>
> Good luck.
> Let's also study why lame VHS killed superior Betamax, ok?

I'm fairly positive it has something to do with VHS holding 6 hours
and Betamax only holding 2. Though I could be wrong. Superiority is
determined by the market.

--

Orion Adrian