Re: Styling by attribute-based association?

Hi, Matthew,

Seems like we are interpretting differently purpose of
NL - "navigational list".
You think that its primary role is a popup menu and
I am thinking that it is a hierarchical list.

And you right here: <nl> by its structure is not designed
to be represented as a popup menu.
For serving as a collapsing tree it is semanticly better but also
not perfect.

Speaking about menus, tooltips and popups in general...
I was experimenting with popups a bit:
( in my case popups are "must have"s )
Initial idea was to use something like position:popup; in CSS.
This is sort of super-absolute positioning -
position:popup element placed in a new top-level window -
like popup menu - window with vertically replaced items on most OSes.
This approach was proven to be easily abused - creation of fake windows,
etc.
So it was rejected.

For tooltips I am using simple "titleid" (non-standard) element attribute
for that
It contains ID of element which will appear as a popup window.
http://terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/tooltips.jpg
Solution is far not perfect but simple and works.

And beside of standard tooltip behavior (non focusable passive window)
I have two more allowing to show arbitrary elements as 1) a hierarchical
popup menus
and 2) dropdown windows, example - dropdown portion of <select size=1>.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com