Re: Five new proposals about CSS

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> In speech you would explicitly say that the text is italicised.
>
> Consider for example giving a lecture on a poem in which the author
> italicised certain words and talking about the impact of that decision
> on the way the reader perceives the poem visually.  In your lecture, the
> italics is not tradition or custom, but of the essence -- it's being
> discussed.  So you mention it explicitly when quoting the poem.

What if the author of the poem decided to put certain words in red, for
instance? What then? Or how about futurist poems where the layout,
colour, line work, etc are all part of the author's intention? With the
poetry argument we may as well abandon the whole "separation of content
and presentation" entirely then...

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com