Re: Grid Layout (was What 'Advanced Layout' suggestions have been proposed?)

Ben Ward wrote:
> On 05/10/05, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
>>And an idea I briefly alluded to before:
>>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Mar/0058
>>
>>The latter hasn't been fully published yet, but an example would be like
>>this:
>
> I recall reading through that a few months ago and I quite liked it. I
> think 'ASCII-art' is imperfect (being limited to 26 regions isn't so
> big an issue, but being unable to apply 'friendly' names to your grid
> regions is a problem for me.

It needn't be limited to 26 -- you've got the whole of Unicode to pick
from :)

I agree friendly names would be more usable (if more verbose), but
that's a small syntactical issue, there's no difference in the model if
you adopt the following syntax:

   grid: "myGrid" " foo | foo   | bar ",
                  " foo | glork | ook ";

and then reference the names (I've also given the grid itself a name so
that it may be referenced elsewhere). Note that I have "foo" be a
complete corner just for kicks -- I'm unsure that should be allowed.

> For me personally though, the biggest issue remains vertical styling.
> The ability to equalise the height of two elements based on the
> content of the largest element remains the biggest layout issue.
> Solving that through any means would probably satisfy most of the
> requirements for a new layout model.

That can be solved orthogonally to the way in which the grid is
specified in the first place.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist