Grid Layout (was What 'Advanced Layout' suggestions have been proposed?)

On 05/10/05, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> And an idea I briefly alluded to before:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Mar/0058
>
> The latter hasn't been fully published yet, but an example would be like
> this:

I recall reading through that a few months ago and I quite liked it. I
think 'ASCII-art' is imperfect (being limited to 26 regions isn't so
big an issue, but being unable to apply 'friendly' names to your grid
regions is a problem for me. I toyed with making it a separate
*simple* XML structure but I essentially ended up with a copy of HTML
correctly. In the end it wasn't very imaginitive. If anyone wants a
copy I can probably find it someone.

As well as the behaviorial similarity to HTML table layouts (visible
horizontal overflows push adjacent content across, rather than
overlapping as will absolute positioning, plus being able to equalise
'column heights').

There's some benefit in that Web Designers are of course already
familiar with the way in which HTML table layouts behave.

For me personally though, the biggest issue remains vertical styling.
The ability to equalise the height of two elements based on the
content of the largest element remains the biggest layout issue.
Solving that through any means would probably satisfy most of the
requirements for a new layout model.

Ben
http://ben-ward.co.uk