Re: Simple template-based editing

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Actually, no.  If you factor in the need for separation of presentation
> from content, you have the best argument against preserving presentation
> in copy & paste operations, which, IMHO, should never be done by editors
> under any circumstances; or at least not by default, as is unfortunately

Lachlan, that is so far from customers' needs that it is, sorry to say,
shocking to read that almost 15 years ago after we hit the problem with
Grif...

You are thinking markup editors, I am thinking wysiwyg markup editors. There
is not a single reason on earth why, if you do wysiwyg editing, you should
not allow the user to copy styles too. Of course, you should allow the user
to "reset" styles after pasting if he/she wants/needs to, but that's trivial to
implement.

A document _is_ structure + presentation. Why should a user action preserve
only the first part of it?

It's like confirming an action through a dialog. That's useless, that's only a
workaround for the lack of a really good undo stack, whatever is the action,
even 'rm -fr'...

</Daniel>