Re: Image-dislay status media query for reducing reflows -was Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:14:47 +0300, Laurens Holst
<lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> Emrah BASKAYA schreef:
>> Tho, styling alt tags would be so nice.
>
> I recall there was a thread about this styling of replaced elements for
> which the load failed not too long ago...?

image-display: off is a bit different, it takes the users preferences into
account. It does not account for the failed loading. Tho, there might be a
image-display: failed media property, but what to do when the element
fails to be loaded should be discussed more broadly. I tried to stay away
 from that discussion and assumed image-display as a media-feature.

I had also a background-standin-color proposal , which would provide a
background-color until image is loaded (I remember your site had such a
transparent background-image that would benefit from such a feature, in
terms of accessibility) but that's another issue too. I hope someone comes
up with an elegant solution to it that W3 will accept, it could be a
better syntax.

Also, any news on the @supported proposal?? I think it would be nice. Is
it being talked about?

>> Now, my question is, is the content declared in alt is considered a
>> child  of the image? I think not, but if it was, we could style img *,
>> alt would  be included automatically.
>
> If you do img font-size: 100px;, it applies to the alt text in
> Mozilla... Image sizes are also ignored.

Is there sth in the specs that explicitly says so? If there isn't, it
should be added, so this important issue is not left entirely to the hands
of the UA, and other UA would have a guideline to follow.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com