Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Orion Adrian wrote:

> "Say, 2 years for specification, 3 years before adoption by all common
> browser engines, and another 5 years before the majority of users have
> upgraded. That adds up to 10 years. Could be better, could be worse, but
> you're talking about many years in any case."
>
> [...]
>
> If anyone thinks I'm going to put up with a sloppy system for a decade,
> then I'm just going to stick with Microsoft which doesn't seem to have
> this problem.

Really? It's been about 5 years since Avalon started being developed,
it'll be another year before it's released (assuming no more setbacks),
and it'll take at least 4 years for Avalon to be widely distributed enough
to be usable as a development platform. That's 10 years.

Compared to most industries, 10 years from initial planning to ubiquitous
distribution is absolutely amazing. In some industries it can take 50+
years to go from R&D to widely used product.