Re: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:02:36 +0300, Laurens Holst
<lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> Emrah BASKAYA wrote:
>
>> To the skeptical: let the UA's think about it. This is not even hard.
>> The  second pass would be done right after each element is laid out.
>> The whole  document tree is kept in memory anyway.
>
> It is not. Perhaps in your application it is, but in browsers the whole
> document tree is only available after the document has transferred over
> the network in its entirity. This may take up to tens of seconds,
> depending on the document size, client connection and server connection.
> Not rendering anything until that is done is not acceptable...

I am not saying that the second pass should be done after the document
loads, that would not useful at all, I agree with you on that indeed.

The key sentence is "The  second pass would be done right after each
element is laid out." Those elements being table-cells, in this example.

The pass concerning whether that table cell belongs to a certain coloumn
would be done immediately after that specific cell is laid out, not after
the document is loaded, and table cells should use the size defines
padding + border + content-size method so any change in border and padding
parameters would not require a reflow. Of course, changes in color does
not require a reflow either. Even with a reflow that may be caused by a
font-size change, the change is made per cell, so only the last row is
affected for the reflow, which is very easy on the UA's.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com