Re: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

Orion Adrian wrote:

>I'd like to see the [...] float [...] properties taken out.

Please no! Floats are very good at what they’re for, and they were never
intended for layout in the first place.

>But like every idea I put before the group, it will be ignored as it's
>better to sit with what we have then try to rethink the current
>solution. Oh well.

As I understand the CSS WG has likely heard solutions like this being
proposed many times, so in order not to have the same discussion again
every couple of months they just don’t have it at all.

Anyways, if you want to propose a good solution, you must consider
things like how it will affect incremental rendering (a fundamental part
of CSS), etc... The independence of document order in this thing you
propose for example will make it not be incrementally renderable,
causing browsers performing very poorly when incrementally rendering
your webpage while loading because it needs to reflow all the time, or
just not rendering it at all until it’s fully loaded. Without
independence of document order, it seems to be just like the table
display properties.

I’m getting a bit tired of the ‘the CSS WG is blind to solutions’ or
‘everything is fundamentally flawd’-like comments. That’s not a
constructive way to work. There are technical reasons behind the limits
of CSS which can’t just be waved away.

~Grauw