Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:13:37 +0300, David Woolley
<david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Your proposal for vertical centering uses, for want of a better word,
> filling, within the padding.  That means that the border lies outside
> of the blank area for vertical centering.  Overall, the result is
> a narrow in width and tall in height border.

I don't understand why that should pose a problem. If the content already
touches both paddings (padding top+bottom) of the containing element that
we set this property to, there is no centering. If it doesn't, content is
moved according to the setting. Nothing unpredictable there at all. Margin
auto also centers between paddings, but you apply it to the child. Here,
we apply this to the parent of what we want to center. Anyway, maybe Mikko
Rantalainen's idea is more useful. I hope both ideas will be discussed by
those in charge.

> In any case, it has been pointed out that CSS3 allows the generation of
> pseudo elements that can be used to represent the area into which the
> material in question is being centered, so there is no need for new
> constructs and no need for adding real elements for purely presentational
> purposes.  I would have agreed that adding div's purely to achieve
> centering
> would be a mixing of structure and presentation, but that is not
> necessary

CSS will be mostly used for purely presentational purposes, whether we
like it or not. The adoption of a major layout property such as
content-vertical-align by the UA's is more likely than somewhat obscure
pseudo-elements. Tho, this is not a direct problem of CSS specs, I believe
it is partially W3's obligation to make things clear and design elements
like vertical centering should be much easier to handle. Trying to do with
too much with too little leads to ambiguity in cases, we should not
dismiss the adoption of new properties that will fix these issues.

Anyway, that's about it, whoever decides, shall decide then. I am quite
exhausted already, you sure do have a hard task at hand.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com